President-Elect bio - Laura Edwards

 




My name is Laura Edwards, and I would be honored to serve as your President-Elect for the Utah State Quilt Guild.

My journey to quilting wasn't exactly a straight path. I learned to sew at an early age, but my first introduction to quilting didn't inspire me. I remember long hours of hand stitching flower patterns onto solid-colored fabric, and while I appreciated the craftsmanship, I was much more drawn to the vibrant colors, textures, and creativity of embroidery.

Years later, after marriage and many of life's adventures, I found myself sitting on my living room floor with a stack of old golf shirts, a cardboard template, and a pair of craft scissors. I traced as many squares as I could onto those shirts with a pen, cut them out by hand, and once I had a couple hundred squares, I sewed them back together. The first blocks formed neat diagonal patterns, but before long they became a wonderfully mismatched collection of colors and memories.

An experienced quilter friend saw my project and introduced me to the miracle of the rotary cutter. She also taught me about batting, quilt fabric, and quilt sandwiches—and from that moment on, I was hooked. That original "golf quilt" still rides proudly in my husband's trunk with his golf clubs, while my own quilting journey has grown into a love for the incredible world of fabric arts. I enjoy exploring texture and color through straight piecing, curves, appliqué, painting, dyeing, and just about any technique that lets me keep learning and creating.

Since retiring from nursing, I've had the privilege of serving as president of the Thread Heads Quilt Guild in Herriman. I am committed to continuing to help our chapter grow while also supporting the broader quilting community throughout Utah.

I believe our guild is strongest when we work together sharing our knowledge, encouraging one another, and celebrating our love of quilting. I want to help inspire the next generation to discover the joy and creativity of fabric arts, promote the value of repurposing textiles, and support the local quilt shops and businesses that help our quilting community thrive.

It would be a privilege to serve the Utah State Quilt Guild and work alongside each of you to continue building a welcoming, creative, and connected quilting community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pioneering Preservation: The Utah Quilt Heritage Photograph Collection

EIGHT-POINT STARS (TO "Y" OR NOT TO "Y")

Discovering My Armenian Heritage (and a Fourth is Still Pretty Great) by Sharon Aposhian Wright